Why I'm still not into Fashion Week

You will have noticed that, unlike other "fashion blogs", The Reclaimed didn't run a "Top looks from New York Fashion Week" or a "Best looks from Milan Fashion Week" post this fashion month. And I hope you're relieved by that. Best you're going to get from me is probably a trend report.

Im obligated by virtue of this profession to pay attention to the month long gauntlet of next season's lines, and I feel the weight of that responsibility more and more each year. No shade to those writers, reporters, and bloggers who choose to include each and every show's highs and lows on their own sites (more power to you), but it won't be seen here. 

I've already told you guys how I really feel about the Fashion Week hooplah.

But to be transparent, it's more than that.  I've been so disappointed with the artistic direction the market is moving. My heart was broken when overalls were being forced on me as something high fashion. (My name is certainly not old McDonald.) When heel-less high heels came out, the still clumsy girl in me burst into tears. Bleached eyebrows made me raise my bushy brows in horror. 

What I've come to discover is the longer I've written about fashion and the style industries, the least I've come to trust it. More often than not, "insiders" often suggest things that I don't like, "experts" back things that don't look good to me, and fellow style hunters fall head over heels with what all these people say while I remain less than impressed. ( For an idea of what I mean, check this out).

What it boils down to is what The Reclaimed aesthetic has always been: fashion for all, style that is affordable and amazing, and if you love it, wear it. 

Comments