W.E. Went Consignment Shopping

Whitney: So we all know that I love to thrift and consignment shop. I would rather do that than purchase new to be honest. For me it's like treasure hunting, you really never know what you're going to find. 
I wanted to share this experience with my guy, Earl. Now Earl is by no means a consigner, and light years from a thrifter. He is my exact opposite in almost every way. He shops at Macy's, JCPenney, and places like that. Although he mostly shops on the clearance racks/ sale racks and outlet stores, he has never fully experienced the joys/pain/ accoutrement of resale. He likes his stuff brand new (gross). So here he is to explain his encounter with me in a pretty popular consignment shop, Buffalo Exchange ( I went easy on him, can't take him thrifting right away). My translations and all the stuff that makes sense will be in italics.

Earl: First of all, let me say that she could've taken me thrifting. I'm not that bad, but I digress. But as far as this consignment shop goes, I was pleasantly surprised. It was a very organized, and clean looking, and even sensibly arranged. I'm a student of the built environment, these things matter to me.

Whitney: He liked that it looked shoppable. I'm just happy he didn't back out and decide to wait for me at Starbucks or something.

Earl: After assessing that I could manage being in here in the first place, next up was to ascertain what types of clothes and items could be found in this store. The store is in center city Philadelphia in one of the main shopping districts so my first thought was that it at least had some hope.

Whitney: I personally was surprised at how at ease he was there. I guess he realized that just because we were shopping resale did not mean we were shopping in a dark basement out of unorganized bins of filthy rags. 

Earl: Since this is her thing, I let her guide me through the store and show me things. We ended up going to the shoe section first. Imagine that, a woman wanting shoes. (It's just a joke... Sort of) Anyway, to my great surprise I found a nice pair of grey and orange polo sneakers. Orange items are some of my favorite items, I went to Clemson University so I have a love of orange things.
Whitney: we went to the GUYS shoe section first...

Earl: It just happened to be before the women's section. Blame the store layout, not me.

Whitney: The first 2 minutes in the store, this man heads to the shoe section...#justsaying

Earl: I was led there, remember this was my first time in this store. I didn't know where anything was. Anyway, back to my story about this experience. So as with most shoes that I like, I was hoping they were in my size. The struggles of a big footed man. And yes, I was happy that I were in my size.
Whitney: Happy is an understatement. 

Earl: Debatable, but I will continue. Tried them on and they were great and they were going to be mine. Item found, and I could've left then, it was a successful trip to me at this point. But Whit would have made faces at me, so I stayed, and we looked at stuff for her. Because you know we just bypassed the whole men's section on the way to the shoes, but moving on....

Whitney: Yes moving on indeed. I of course made a b-line to the 50% shoes...and found nothing (sad face)

Earl: I did. But she didn't like the ones I picked out. Some foolishness about them not going to be comfortable for her for more than 20 mins in them.

Whitney: It's called functionability

Earl: It's called wear the high-heel boot I picked. It would look sexy on you. 

By the way, functionability is not a word.

Whitney: Don't talk about sexy stuff (my mom reads this blog!) or my made up words! 

Anywho, I ended up with this lovely Chevron Cardi. On sale. 50% off. Boo yah!

Earl: It was Earl approved, hehe. But overall I had a good experience with the store and with Whit on this consigning trip. As with anything new or resale, some things will be better than others, and it's all about finding the best stuff you can. So I've been somewhat drawn into this whole consigning thing. I'm still going to my sale racks and outlet stores, but I'll be thinking about hitting up some consignment stores as well.

Whitney: And so is own over another believer. 

Earl: (Wait, I didn't say I was a believer. Just that I would consider it in the future, baby steps here)

Whitney: STOP INTERUPTING! Anyways, Earl is right, some days you will find Polo sneakers, some days you will leave empty handed. The point is not to go in with any preconceived notion or bias. Sure go in knowing you want shoes, but don't go in with too many specifics. Be open minded to the experience, you never know what you will find.





Comments