New Year's Intention


New Years resolutions, good in theory but definitely bad in practice. While many of us make them, very few of us can (or have) kept them. 

We get defeated by the hard lines we draw in the sand; the number on the scale we didn't reach this week, the unexpected bill that eats your savings, the lack of diversity in our efforts.

So what are the ways we are taken out?

1) Boredom with the same resolution 
I say that I want to lose 30 pounds but I keep doing the same exact work out regimen. I get bored and I quit. 

2) Lack of discipline 
I cannot save the money I want if I'm constantly spending it on every little thing that pops up. 

3) Impatience with slow progress
Im not reaching the goals I want as fast as you want to. It's not that I'm not making progress, it's just not happening on my microwave time span.

4) Frustration
Im disciplined, I'm committed, I'm doing my best, but I'm just not seeing any chances. Life happens and my efforts are compromised, so I simply quit.


All of these factors take our well meaning January resolutions and turn them into March failings. 

My solution? No more resolutions. Period. 

Instead, I am making New Year's Intention. 

The difference: where I fail because of the solid lines presented with resolutions, intentions hold the spirit of the thing I want to accomplish with the flexibility I need to allow me to accomplish the goal. 

For example; instead of saying "I want to lose 30 pounds by June 18th, I say "I want to lose weight." whether I lose the 30 pounds, 10 pounds, or 50 pounds, the intent is met. 

And isn't that the point to this whole resolution business anyway?

Happy New Year loves! May you achieve every goal you intend.



Comments