Muhammad Ali: 17 of the Best Quotes from 'The Greatest'


The world lost another great. A great that actually told us how great he was, and made us believe in how great we all could be. 

Muhammad Ali, born Cassius Clay, was more than just a boxer, he was an example of athleticism, and an inspiration  to those of us who would dare to live a life of excellence. He was a man of faith, a man of integrity, and a man of great courage who stood against oppression of not only his own people, but oppression in general.

His is a story of a life well lived and we can all take something away from his example. Here are 17 quotes from the greatest that we can all learn and grow from:

Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'

I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was.

It's not bragging if you can back it up.

The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.
Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything.

The man who has no imagination has no wings.

It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe.

Silence is golden when you can't think of a good answer.
I know where I'm going and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want.
Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.
The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

Age is whatever you think it is. You are as old as you think you are.

It's the repetition of affirmations that leads to belief. And once that belief becomes a deep conviction, things begin to happen.

Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.

Comments