Thrifty Tip #1: if it's not authentic, DO NOT BUY!

I cannot tell you how much fun it is to find that amazing piece while thrifting. A pair of black Kate Spade heels in my size stuffed in the back of a shoe display. A demure Citizens watch hidden between gaudy sparkly distracting timepieces. An authentic Prada bag on a mannequin wearing a time stained dress. My poor closet doesn't have the space to hold it all! (Hence the monthly purge sessions I will talk about at a later time).



However, I cannot begin to stress the importance of buying authentic ONLY!

Just because it looks just like a real Louis Vuitton doesn't make it a real Louis Vuitton.

"C'mon Whit, what's the big deal?" Style is the big deal. Quality is the big deal. I don't care if side by side no one can tell. Time will tell. Where a quality piece will last you for years and you can send them to their manufacturer to be repaired, knock offs will show their inauthenticity, and who has the, as my bestie says in her sweet southern accent, UNMITTIGATED GALL to get a fake repaired. The price you pay for quality is one time for something that will LAST. Knock offs cannot promise this.

The entire point of going with thrift, consignment and resale is to not pay retail, yes. But that doesn't mean you forfeit quality for price. Yeah, it would not be wise of me to buy a Miu Miu Matelasse bag from Saks or Nordstrom, but I should aim to find one at the resale store. 

But I'm not going to rob a label I like by purchasing a fake. 


Ok so lets say you find a great piece while out and about but you are unsure as to it's authenticity. Hop right onto your smart phone and pull up any of the hundreds of authenticity guides online. Ebay usually has very good ones. It's how I found this beautiful vintage Prada (the black one that says Prada) and cute Dooney wristlet at my favorite spot! You can be your own authenticator right in the spot. 

TIPS:
1) Be patient, Be consistent- you won't find good deals every single time you go out. But you do have to keep trying in order to be successful.
2) Shop around- have more than one spot you shop in different neighborhoods. The resale shop in the "rich" neighborhood may have all the high end designers but the thrift store near the university has all the trendy stuff.
3) Know "your stores"- know when new merchandise comes out. Know when there could be sales or specials. Make buds who can let you in on some deals.

I hope this rule really helps. You may want a great deal, but i believe you are too fabulous to buy fake.

So rule number one, "When in doubt of authenticity, DO NOT BUY IT." 

Happy Thrifting!

Comments