Thrifty Tip #2: Don't be a label whore

Ah, the label whore, the person who, at any given point within a conversation (usually unwarented) will bring up who they are wearing. The person who snubs any brand that cannot be purchased at stores like Norstroms, Sak's, or Neimans. The person who finds the Brian Atwood shoes at a tag sale and buys them to wear, even though they themselves cannot walk in them...please, my dear readers, don't be this person.

Ok I know what you're thinking. "This same woman who was falling apart at the seams over a Valentino Blazer, Prada Pumps, and Sergio Rossi heels is saying don't be a label whore?" Let me explain.

I don't love the labels for label's sake. I love quality. I love workmanship. I love the idea that I could wear or use this item for years to come or even pass them down. Not all high end designers make stuff worth wearing, least of all buying, in my opinion. Some lesser known designers make amazing things that look good on and last.

This is that rope necklace I shared in the Treasure Hunt at Philly Aids Thrift. I don't know who makes it, and I kind of dont care. It's cool. It's interesting. It's my style, and it was a dollar. 

Here is a headband from the same treasure hunt. Again, don't know who makes it. Don't care. It's cute. I love bows. Floral and navy look cool together. Sold!

While watching Resale Royalty, I heard the best quote that better describes what I'm saying, "These are stylish women. They don't care about the label, they want to look good."

So don't buy the purse just because it's a Louis V. or Fendi. Buy it because it's in your budget, because you are in the market for a new bag (moderation to be discussed in a later post), and because it's your style.

Happy Thrifting!

Comments