Why I'm Not Hype Over The Fashion Weeks


For the past month social and mass media has been flooded with it. The dresses and gowns, the menswear, womenswear, ready to wear, and haute couture. New York, London, Milan. Famous models walking down famous runways donning famous designers before crowds of famous other people. It's a big deal, it's a huge deal, it's the most biggest hugest deal ever...

And I just don't care.

No, it's not that I don't love fashion. Clearly, as you see, this IS a fashion and style blog, so I obvious like it somewhat. 

No, I'm not bitter than I didn't get invited to any shows. Full time work and what is known as real life would have prevented a visit this year anyway, however, I do eventually look forward to attending in the future.

I simply just don't care. Yeah I love clothes and I love designers. I love the art and the craft of forging something remarkable to wear. I love that a garment can make someone feel amazing, that a bag can show someone's personality, that shoes can say more about someone than words ever could. I do have a passion for fashion, absolutely

But as far as New York, London, Milan, Paris, or anywhere else is concerned, I'm just not that hype.

Why?

1) Because a lot of what we are seeing won't be available to us, the masses for some time. It's like seeing the birthday present six months before the birthday when you could actually have it.

2) A lot of what we are seeing on runways is more artistic than functional. (Think of it as your favorite art gallery, but with wearable works of art.) These designs will be mimicked by other creators to make them more appealing to the masses in design, functionality, and price. 

3) Fashion weeks, for the most parts, are all about the "show". Whose show had the best "this", who had more of "that", which celebrities came wearing "what", guess who was sitting on the front row of "fill in the blank"'s show. It's all about the entertainment factor, the drama, the competition of the show. And, to be honest, I just have never bought into it.


Not trying to pick on anyone or make fun, but I'm just being honest. I don't buy into the hype, never have and probably never will. Don't want to be a buzz kill, and I do love a good party. But sometimes, I feel like we in the industry make to serious what should always be fun and interesting and comforting, and ultimately empowering. We should be driving our customers and each other to a higher creativity, to better work, to greater craftsmanship, and then be awesome enough to commend each other in reaching our goals. I don't know, maybe I'm just a naive optimist.

So, my friend, I will continue to sip on my iced coffee, peruse racks of the gorgeous vintage and beautiful brand new, and appreciating the upcoming works of art from afar. 

Enjoy (seriously, enjoy) the shows.

Comments