Thrifty Tip #17: Know What You Need, Discover What You Want

There is nothing wise about going shopping and not knowing what you need. To aimlessly peruse a store can be disasterous to your wallet and overloading to your closet. Before I go anywhere, whether the market, the beauty supply store, or the thrift, I go with a need in mind. 

I don't go anywhere without a plan. I know how much I'm willing to spend and exactly what I'm looking for. However I do leave room for the surprise item that might catch my eye, but I still plan for that.

A warmer pair of boots, a dress or a coat, a black purse, whatever it may be, know what you need and be firm about it. It's a little more tricky in a thrift store due to the fact that the thrift is usually an amalgamation of random accoutrements instead of, like other retail locations, neat and orderly with every size available. Still keep your focus on the need. If you need a black dress size 10, make sure that your focus and the 1st place you go is to the dress section.

Example: About 2 weeks ago, I found a gorg brown leather and snake skin Badgley Mischka tote bag at one of my spots. Tags still in it told me the bag was originally $475, the thrift was charging $75. But I was there to get a new hat and a pair of gloves, budgeting about $10 (which is generous for this particular spot). I had to turn it down. Don't you know when I recently stopped back by, the bag is still hanging there?! (I anticipate either a price drop or the right person coming in to buy.)

See what I mean? If I had bought the bag, I would have been way over budget for something I wanted as opposed to buying what I needed and leaving behind the want (that I may be able to eventually get a price I like!)

In contrast, I was at a different shop looking for a new sunglasses case (found a perfect authentic chanel case for under 4 bucks by the way!) and I found a gold bracelet that I now wear all the time, for a dollar. Within reason and well within my original budget of $6.

The moral of the story? A waste of money, whether $500 or $5 is a waste of money. And Reclaimed peeps don't ever want to waste. 

Stay Thrifty my friends!

Comments