Sh!+ Fashion Girls Say


How long do you think you could read a fashion blog, post, article, or even a simple tweet before you come across words like covet, need, or even obsessed? Not very long, unfortunately. I'm guilty of using a few of these in the past that as I look back now, I cringe at the thought of limiting my verbose vocab to submit to fashion culture clichés.  

Well, enough is enough. These are the words Fashion Girls MUST STOP USING:

Obsessed-
This one I was never a fan of. Obsessed? Really? To describe something as transitory as an item of fabric or leather? First off, obsession is an unhealthy emotion that no logical person should ever want to feel, least of all for an object. Whatever happened to just saying what we mean, you know, like "I really like this."? Hyperboles just die.

Need-
I think the majority of the fashion community who use this word to describe something beyond water, food, and shelter really don't comprehend what a need really is. I need to drink water today. I don't need a Phillip Lim Pashli (although I very much want one). 

Must Have-
This begs the question, why must I have this thing deemed as a must have? 

Lust/Covet- 
I discuss the Lust/Covet issue I have here. Long story short, these words do not adequately describe a accurate feeling of wanting that I feel for a particular item. Plus, who really wants to create a lustful or covetousness feeling in another person over something we have? Sure, want things, that not bad. Want the same things you see others have, also not bad. But when you want it enough to covet, meaning wanting THAT EXACT PARTICULAR thing that belongs to another, then that's a real issue.

Everything-
Now this one I'm actually guilty of. And while my meaning is implied, that when I say a particular thing is everything, that I mean it's everything good I can think of. But recently I had to ask myself "How exactly is a pair of shoes everything?" No, my friends, they aren't everything. Not everything good. They are just a pair of shoes, whether great or not.

Die/I Die/Dead- 
I chalk this one up to one of my favorite stylists in the game, Rachel Zoe. I would hope that the item one is saying one would die for is at least exciting enough to choose to live for. I mean, yeah there's some amazing and creative and beautiful items floating around in the fashion world, but none of them are worth me dropping dead for.

What do you think? Are there any fashion words you would like to see go?

Comments