Basic B!tch and Proud



I just found out that I could be what the fashion world deems as a basic bitch.

Basically, one who wears things that are after the trend has fizzled and the phase has faded.

And I'm okay with that.

What sparked this sudden empowerment of all things basic and slightly behind? Pop Sugar very recently posted one of those both loved and dreaded lists that we are all addicted to, the particular one prompting this post is called "Am I A Basic Bitch?" ( in case you wanted to check it out yourself).

Now to be fair, some of the things I actually do agree with the Pop Sugar peeps on. 

I simply loathe athletic wear with words on the butt. Hate it, never got into it, and personally I think is a ploy for attention to a spot where quite frankly I never needed help in getting attention (can I get an Amen from anyone ever called Big Booty Judy).

I LOVE the boyfriend jeans and Strappy Shoe look I've been seeing and employing while going out instead of the usual bandage dress and platform heels (although the bandage dress will most likely stay in rotation). 

I've never been one to load up on trendy bendy items. I really advise against going full head to toe trends of the moment ( I think it's silly, will make yo look dates, and worst of all, can be EXPENSIVE trying to keep up with them) In fact, I tend to stay toward classic items with maybe one or 2 trendy things thrown in to keep the look current.

And I don't like signature ANYTHING. You will notice that a lot of what I've worn and shared on this blog or on any of the social sites does not bear signatures, with the exception of a few pieces of hand-me-down LV bags give to me by my grandmother (which in that case make them very special for other reasons outside of fashion). So I agree with the Pop Sugar people on that.

Here's where I personally draw the line.

I will defend my deep love and constant winter clinging onto of my black well worn Ugg boots. If you have lived in the North East as long as I have and have been through as many wet, snowy, super cold, icy hells of winter as we have up here you may agree. True, Ugg boots should not be worn to your weekend brunch. However while commuting to work in super slushy, gray stuff we dare call snow to work or running errands or to the playground with the kids (all of which was most of my life this past long winter) then yes, Uggs happen to be more than acceptable.

And I adore my Tory Burch Reva Flats. They are my church flats, my day with the girls flats, my "I may need flats after 3 hours in these heels" flats. I will probably wear them until they fall apart or God sends me another pair of lovable super comfy flats. Otherwise they simply aren't going anywhere. Period.

I was born on Valentine's Day. Hearts will always be a symbol and have a great deal of meaning. Nuff said.

So maybe I'm not as basic as the absolute basic broad being described by Pop Sugar in this test. Maybe I just have a few basic tendicies. Either way, my style is my style. I am very happy where I am right now. And if that is what the fashion people categorize as basic, then that is where I will comfortably be.

Uggs and heart charms and all.

Comments