Why I won't be seeing American Blogger


I had heard whispers across the net that someone was finally making a documentary covering the subject of bloggers.

I thought "Yes! Finally someone will shape and craft an articulate discussion on the profession and vocation of the blogging world. Someone will break the stereotypes and smash the hegemony of the industry."

Turns out...I was wrong.

Turns out that the film comprises of Mr. Wiegand just fixing up his Airstream, driving around the country, and interviews women who, he told IndieWire, “...said yes to my request, they knew my wife and trusted that I would tell this story in a positive way.” In that same piece, Wiegand also says "This film is not supposed to be, nor is it, representing bloggers or America as a whole by any means."

Hmm...

Wiegand must have already been feeling the fire because when he spoke to The Daily Dot, he responded to the early criticism of his "breathtakingly filmed and artistically crafted” (oh yeah, he said that about his own film) with, “I’m an artist, so I’m gonna make it the way I feel like, the way I want to make it and not because I want to appeal to anybody…” Wiegand then goes on to remove the comments section below the trailer.

Wiegand also says "The name “American Blogger” came not because I am representing all of America but because I am traveling America (40 states)  in my airstream and telling the story of the Blogger."

So the documentary is only American because you drove through the States? Not because you were actually documenting an informed cross section of bloggers from those States? 

And whose story are you telling Mr. Wiegand? Who is this American Blogger?

Is the American Blogger only white? Female? Thin? Able bodied? Rich?Because the network I have seen of bloggers includes men, those with disabilities, curvy ladies, oh and a rainbow of ethnicities, backgrounds, and economic statuses. 

Does this American Blogger only write about fashion, or shopping, or beauty, or lifestyles? Because I know of many different types of blogs, including faith, vocation, parenting, even video games. 

So that leads me to question if this so called documentary really chronicled the American Blogger? 

How can you call it the American Blogger when really only one type (in ethnicity, gender, size and topic choice) is represented in the film?

How can you call it The American Blogger when the film is really nothing but a "vanity project" that strokes the egos of Chris Wiegand, his wife, and 50 of their friends?

To say that the title, is misleading, the portrait painted inaccurate, and this stereotype pushing "documentary" mediocre would all be understatements. And I'm not alone in my analysis. Seems like this little film has caused an uproar in the rest of the blogger community. 

You be the judge. Check out the American Blogger trailer here. ( http://www.thewrap.com/american-blogger-hilariously-earnest-trailer-goes-viral-video/ )

Comments