Lessons from Maya

I can still remember it. Opening up the package sent to me by my Great Aunt Stine. She frequently sent us northern girls books and stories from down south, the perpetual teacher and lady that she was constantly teaching us with the lessons instilled in every single page. This particular event was my 5th grade graduation. I unwrapped the package to find a small blue book with gold writing on the cover. It was the inaugural poem for President Bill Clinton, entitled "On the Pulse of Morning." written by a poet that at that time in my childhood I had only heard a little about, Maya Angelou...

"Here, on the pulse of this fine day
You may have the courage
To look up and out upon me,
The rock, the river, the tree, your country.
No less to Midas than the mendicant.
No less to you now than the mastodon then.
Here on the pulse of this new day
You may have the grace to look up and out
And into your sister's eyes,
Into your brother's face, your country
And say simply
Very simply
With hope
Good morning."


To this day I still have and treasure this little book, although its original gifter as well as the writer of this poem have both now passed this very year.

Today, Maya is at rest, just as my great Aunt, both great women inspired me to be thirsty for knowledge and justice, strive to do my best, love fearlessly and to live a life of meaning and purpose. Here are some of my favorite quotes by Maya Angelou.


Thank you for the lessons. Rest well. 

Comments