Minimal Effort, Maximum Style

I have discovered something about myself recently. I am a minimalist at heart. I love simplicity, even the deliberate vacancy of spaces. It's saying "Yeah, today I could wear huge bold statements all over, but instead I will relish in the essential beauty of the basic tank, a comfy pair of jeans, the shape of a monochrome structured bag, etc."

While I see that minimalism has been having a major moment this past Spring and Summer (and now moving into autumn), for me, being minimalist feels less like keeping up with the trends and more like an inner maturation of my own personal style. 
Instead of piling on layers upon layers of the bright, the huge, the printed, or the statement, most of the time I gravitate towards basic, simple staple pieces for my outfit, light (if any) jewelry, and pretty basic shoes (I do however usually let my bag be the one that does all the "talking". How I love a good bag!)
Minimalism is defined by Merriam Webster as "a style or technique (as in music, literature, or design) that is characterized by extreme spareness and simplicity."
Spareness. Simplicity. Yeah, that sounds appealing to me. A simple tee. Unassuming jeans. Understated flats or heels. Their value lying in gaudy exhibition, but in their crafting, in the materials used to make them, in the quality and time by which they have been produced, much like the people who wear them.

Now while basic has become somewhat of a byword that the majority of fashionistas flee from (fearing the dreaded label of "basic b!tch")it's a concept that is very attractive to me. The real creativity lies in how you combine a bunch of different pieces, however basic, to create your own look. I've seen some celebs with all the money in the world (and professional stylists) wear some pretty horrible outfits. I've also seen some people who don't have half of the resources the celebs do craft lovely, chic, or fierce looks. It's all about what you do with what you have, and how that look speaks to who you are.

Don't get me wrong, I do also love a good bold piece. Formal events and occasions that call for them deserve sparkle, glitter, shimmer and shine.

I do however wonder if we have hidden behind all of those loud statements, prints, and bold colors for so long, that the whole "basic" as an insult is really a way for those who are still hiding to hurt those who don't feel the need to hide. Sometimes, the most basic IS the most beautiful. Sometimes, clear space is appealing. Sometimes, simple is the way to sophistication. Because, maybe in those elements, people don't see the sprinkle and the splash, they see you.

In a world where flash and sparkle and showy reign, it is so nice to see simple and elegant, and yes even spare.

Yep, I'm falling hard for minimalism. 

Comments