The Sony Breach is sort of a good thing



I'm probably one of the few who sees the Sony breach as a partially positive thing. I mean, yeah it's a terrible thing when someone uses your own information against you. But if what is exposed the true character of those whose many of us have been finding and supporting for years, then I ask is it really a bad thing? 

That's exactly what happened to Sony executives Scott Rudin and Amy Pascal got caught with ther proverbial pants down when hackers (supposedly from North Korea) targeted Sony in a massive breach of their security. Initially, I felt bad when I heard that people's emails from over a year ago had been exposed. Then I read the subject matter of these emails, and I instantly felt better.

In an email exchange between Rudin and Pascal about an upcoming meeting with President Obama:
Rudin asks "Would he like to finance some movies,"
Pascal responds, “I doubt it. Should I ask him if he liked DJANGO?” 
Rudin counters with“12 YEARS," 
Pascal responds “Or the butler. Or think like a man?” 

Oh yeah. Yep, that feeling that you're feeling right now? Yeah I felt that too...

It would be too much to ask people not to be bigots, but if you're going to be bigoted, at least be smart enough to be bigoted where you won't be caught, not in written forms (I guess ignorance knows no bounds). It was literally only a matter of time before such crass and classless emails were to surface. 

And of course here comes the inevitable apologies: 
“Private emails between friends and colleagues written in haste and without much thought or sensitivity, even when the content of them is meant to be in jest, can result in offense where none was intended,” Rudin told Deadline. “I made a series of remarks that were meant only to be funny, but in the cold light of day, they are in fact thoughtless and insensitive, and not funny at all. To anybody I’ve offended, I’m profoundly and deeply sorry, and I regret and apologize for any injury they might have caused.”

Pascal echoes these same sentiments:
“The content of my emails to Scott were insensitive and inappropriate but are not an accurate reflection of who I am...Although this was a private communication that was stolen, I accept full responsibility for what I wrote and apologize to everyone who was offended.”

Let's face it: the only reason that there is an apology is because they got caught. Otherwise there would be no sudden "I'm deeply sorry"  or "I apologize" BS. That type of apology isn't worth anything. You cannot apologize for ignorance. Ignorance can only be eradicated with education. 

And it looks like this breach is giving Rudin and Pascal one hell of an education.

Comments