Readers SOUND OFF! Vogue Italia's Cover


Whether it's Elle Canada's "new caftan", Valentino's "Wild Tribal Africa" or Allure's loose "Afro" or that Rachel Dolezal exists at all, this year isn't the best for those guilty of cultural appropriation.

But then there are moments where I am honestly confused. 

After working in style for sometime now and witnessing all manor of things, I will argue for (non offensive/obscene) rights for creativity (we all have a limit).

At the same time, being an African American woman who is well educated in the history of the mistreatment of people's of the African diaspora, I can (and will continue to) stand up and speak out against the appropriation as soon as I see it. 

Every so often, it's not black and white, it's some other color. In this case, it's fluorescent. 
A few weeks ago, this cover from Vogue Italia was released, it's cover model being none other than Gigi Hadid.

Yeah. I know. Not the typical cover you would expect from any Vogue nor from this top model. But it was made and it did more than raise a few eyebrows. 

Racked's Sarah Sahim had this to say:
"...Hadid's fake tan did border on a little too dark. Hadid herself is a white passing woman of color, but there is something about this cover that makes you feel a little uneasy. Hadid's tan was so dark, in fact, that the neon turquoise afro wig added an element of Rachel Dolezal-turned-clown."

I think that pretty perfectly sums up this cover and photo spread.
So I ask you, the readers to sound off. Is this appropriation or is this simply creativity? What do you think?

If it isn't appropriation, then it is due all of the laudes that a Vogue cover is usually due. 

If it IS appropriation, then I still only have 1 question, with is an expanded version of Amandla Stenberg's "Don't Cash Crop on my Cornrows.", its a question I have asked before: What if the world loved black people as much as they love black culture?

Sound off! What do YOU think? Good, bad, and indifferent, I want to hear it all. I merely ask that you are respectful to both the magazine, the model, and this blog by abstaining from profanity and degrading language. Otherwise, let's hear it!

Comments