Rest In Peace David Bowie

I remember my first time seeing him. This androgynous man with Tina Turner worthy hair and what looked like a figure skater's costume. My older sister's favorite movie at the time was Labyrinth and he played the Goblin King opposite a 14 year old Jennifer Connelly, singing and dancing among Jim Henson puppets and elaborate sets. I remember him being magical and frightening and cool and beautiful all at the same time, and I became a closet fan from that moment.

David Bowie, with his affinity for the unusual, his penchant to push the limits, and his swagger to pull it off, inspired multiple generations with 25 albums, 51 music videos, 111 singles, and over 50 years of music. David, a definite Man Crush of The Reclaimed, will be surely missed.

Here are my favorite 7 Bowie quotes to remember this legend:

"I'm just an individual who doesn't feel that I need to have somebody qualify my work in any particular way. I'm working for me."

"I really had a hunger to experience everything that life had to offer, from the opium den to whatever. And I think I have done just about everything that it's possible to do" – interview with The Telegraph

“Fame itself … doesn’t really afford you anything more than a good seat in a restaurant.”

"I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with potential of a superman. I'm living on" – Quicksand lyrics

“I suppose for me as an artist it wasn’t always just about expressing my work; I really wanted, more than anything else, to contribute in some way to the culture I was living in.”

“Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming.”

"I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring" – to his audience at New York's Madison Square Garden in 1998


Comments