November No Buy Week 2: The Purge (I have too much stuff)

I am happy to report that did way better this week than I did last week. No real random shopping outbursts.

But I do have a confession: Despite the sudden unseasonal and prolonged drop in temperatures here in Philly, I only just changed over my wardrobe to my Fall/Winter clothes.

And, though I do this pattern of changing over twice every single year, this season, it really hit me.

Here we are! Mid way through the 2017 November No Buy!

And I have arrived to the realization that I have too much stuff.

I just do.

My pretty sizable apartment is flooded with thrift and vintage store finds. Albeit, sweaters and sweat shirts take up more space than shorts and tanks, but still. I have more warm and cozy clothes than one person can really wear in one winter time. And I am fully aware that I will probably wear the same 10 to 20 things on steady rotation, meaning there will be pieces that won't get worn at all. My closet is currently packed to max capacity while still being able to close the door. I have a 15 foot long, three tiered book shelf flooded with books. My jewelry boxes are full and my dresser is packed, its top littered with misplaced items.

I need to purge. And I have been. I tossed out old and unwearable pairs of sneakers and flats, I am beginning to box books to be donated to local libraries or schools, the best items from my wardrobee are being listed for resale (cha-thing) and there is a small but growing mountain size pile of bags of items once loved by my front door that are on their way to be donated.

Having said that, I also have to confess the guilt that came over my mind as I walked out of the thrift with more items for The Reclaimed Vintage, but among those I came home with another sweatshirt and a new J. Crew top (both a dollar each). Face palm. I know, you are saying 'Whitney! It's only $2!' But for me, its less about the actual cash and more about the promise I made to myself not to shop, not to spend unnecessarily on myself, and to not bring home anything new.

Guess an older sweatshirt or sweater is heading to that donation pile.

Don't forget! I want to see how you are saving cash this month! Post your cool, unique, funny ways of saving using the hashtag #ReclaimedNoNoBuy on Instagram and I will choose the best post at the end of the month to win a seriously good prize box curated by me. Make sure you are following me on the 'gram. Get to posting!



Comments