TWMBABW: Tay Watts of Posh Candle Co.


Who doesn't love a luxurious hand poured soy candle? I don't know a single person. How about ones with sassy sayings like "Bad and Bougie", "Boss Girl Magic", and "Be Humble"? That is Posh Candle Co. That is exactly what today's feature, Tay Watts, has created with her brand, Posh Candle Co. Beyond candles, Tay's brand offers incense, smudges, candle sets, and now, her own box for your own, at home, luxurious experience.

This time on This Was Made By A Black Woman: Tay Watts and Posh Candle Co.

“Hello, I’m Tay Watts, owner and Chandler of Posh Candle Co. where I make candles that tap into popular trends.”

"I’ve always cherished the idea of having something to call my own" Tay says of being an entrepreneur. "...and often felt unsatisfied working for others due to the lack of control. I love having control over my schedule, having the freedom to move things around and take breaks when I need them."

Not surprisingly, Posh Candle Co is not Tay's first foray into entrepreneurship, "I started Posh Candle Co. after putting my soap business on hold to focus on things that I was more passionate about. Many times you hear people tell you to do things you’re passionate about but the average person cannot pinpoint their passions. I stopped everything and began being more mindful of things I was naturally attracted to."

How Tay got from soaps to candles? A little retail therapy. "During a trip to the store, I found myself standing in the middle of the candle aisle and bored with the selections. I also realized how truly obsessed I was with candles and I went home to brainstorm my next moves."

Tays favorite product? "My favorite product is the Boss Girl Magic candle because it’s the perfect way to celebrate living life on your own terms. I love the feel I get from burning it as I work on my business because it gives me this extra push to work harder and have fun doing it."

"When asked about what it means to a Black Woman entrepreneur, Tay says "It means being resilient, brave, and confident as we deal with issues of racism and sexism in order to succeed. It means making movements in the right direction, black liberation and rejecting traditional roles assigned to women."

Follow Tay's chic and sassy products and grab your own here.

Comments