How minimalism is leading me to financial, domestic, and clutter free freedom

2018 is going to be the year of freedom for me. Just like last year was the year of yes, this year, I am prioritizing freedom for myself, and one of those types of freedom I am currently seeking is financial freedom.

I have been blessed to not have a lot of debt. Things like school, marriage, divorce, all of which I have experienced, usually throw people into tons of debt, but I have really been blessed to have accrued much in my almost 33 years of life (praise Him!)

That all being said, I do have debt, mostly from my dwindling student loans and a bit on the one credit card I own.

And I want to be free of it.

And while I may not feel the crushing weight of debt as some people may, I just do not feel that it is responsible for the life I want and the future I want to be walking into that new season with old debts.

How I plan to do it is through minimalism. For me, adopting minimalism is not for a trend’s sake, it’s living in simplicity where everything I own has a purpose and a place. Life is complicated enough on its own without over complicating it with too much stuff, an insatiable desire for consumption, and not enough money to support bad habits.

This simplicity will require discipline, but ultimately, once i have created an inviting space, my own curated wardrobe, a healthier diet, it will be worth it.

Here is how is how I plan to do it:

Know what I have, keep what you love, and give away the rest:
We spend so much money buying things we don’t need but like only to bring it home and realize that we have something just like it or no place to put the thing. We accrue debt this way as well. By curating our possessions we know exactly what we own. Not only will that lead to a more spacious, clutter free life, it will prevent repeat purchases.

And that saves us money, y’all.

Not only that, but you can take the items you don’t need or fell out of love with and donate them to families who may need them. Doing good and clearing out at the same time.

I only buy what I need:
We own a lot of things we don’t need. We buy things less out of necessity and more for other reasons, like we are bored or sad or happy or any one of a myriad of reasons. We live in a “treat yo’self” society. But there are better ways to treat yourself that clutter up your space and use resources that could be put toward something else for things you don’t need or really even want.

Why not put the cash we would spend on crap towards something like, I don’t know, our debt, for that vacation, or save for a rainy day? Every little bit matters and eventually it will add up to something substantial if you keep up with it.

Cook more that I order take out:
Do you realize how much money and food goes to waste when you have a full refrigerator but choose to order take out? A LOT! And I’m guilty of this. Some nights, after returning home, I would rather just order Chinese or Indian or Pizza just so I can hop back on my laptop and write while food is being prepared for me rather than taking 30 minutes to create and often healthier meal for myself.

Well, no more! I am choosing financial and physical health over perceived convenience and making more meals for myself than I order. Once in a while, it’s fine to get take out, but it shouldn’t be 3 or 4 times a week.

I sell what I don't love:
You all know by now I resell thrift finds and second hand clothes. It’s a bomb hustle and if you want to make a little extra cash and clear clutter, I highly recommend it.

These simple ways are how I am actively and intently clearing house out my space to create a home I can be proud of, clear out my closet to create a curated capsule wardrobe that is worthy of my body, and improve my finances that, while good, can be much better if I was more intentional about knocking out debt.

What steps are you using to improve your space, wardrobe, and finances? I would love to hear your stories and ideas. Drop me a comment below!

Comments