Acts of Self Care

"You need to take better care of yourself." my younger sister chided me as she sat across from me, hands resting on the baby bump that will soon give way to my newest niece. "You don't drink any water, you don't get enough sleep, you don't eat enough, and you're always running around. You need to stick around, Whit."

She's right. The life of a solopreneur (a solo entrepreneur) trying to write, blog, freelance, maintain social media, and run The Reclaimed Resale, not to mention my commitments to family and church, I work, a lot. It has yet to take a toll on me but my sister is right, I need to do more to care for me.

The term "self care" has become very popular recently. But I feel like bubble baths and tea and anything else we attach the label of self care to should be actually anchored in some form of care for self.

Sometimes, self care is going to bed an hour earlier. Sometimes, it’s Prayer. Sometimes it’s going for a run. But it should be anchored deep in a love and sustainance of self.

Here are the acts I am committing to this year:

Drinking warm water with lemon every morning:
There are so many benefits to drinking warm lemon water, it is astounding that more people aren't doing this.
-Boosts your immune system,
- balances pH, 
- helps with weight loss, 
- aids digestion, 
- clears skin, 
- removes toxins, 
- freshens breath, 
- relieves respiratory problems, 
- might help you kick your coffee habit,
- and seriously zens you out
So, long story short, I need to do this.

Or just drinking more water throughout the day:
As mentioned before, I don't drink enough water. It's a good day when I drink more than two glasses. I have no aversion to water, but Just never remember to drink any. So, I am taking my sister's advice and setting reminders on my phone to remind me to drink water. Yes, it's that serious.

Remembering to take my vitamins:
I honestly just forget, so, setting a reminder to do this too.

Writing at least once everyday for myself:
I know, you see me writing for this blog as well as other publications and you may be a bit confused by this one. But, as much as much as I have the opportunity to create content for so may others, I don't ever have the chance to take time for myself and journal or write my poetry that I love. So, instead of playing on my phone, I am making time to journal every evening before bed. It's been working great so far.

Working on spending more time with God:
I used to have a scheduled devotion time, where it was nothing but me, my Bible, and God. Now a days, I am lucky if I get more than a morning scripture and prayer in. This is something that I MUST take time for. My devotional time used to be so full of insight, peace and joy. I can just be completely transparent and silent and receive what God is trying to saying. And I miss that. So I am making the time to have devotion. Because I need it.

Here's how I will be self caring this year. What are you doing? Drop me a comment below!


Comments