Overcoming Imposter Syndrome

Imposter syndrome is a nasty little bug that buries itself into the hearts of those who it infects, making them unable to internalize their own achievements and making them feel like a fraud.

I should know. It's been a reality of mine for too long. I would be sitting in fashion shows and events, getting interviews, and the like, and still feel like I was just lying to everyone around me, and lying to myself.

This year, I resolved to free myself from imposter's syndrome by directly challenging it when it arose.

It didn't take long.

This past Saturday, I posted the following:
"Hi. My name is Whitney. I have been writing professionally and blogging for almost 5 years.

I wrote a short love story in high school that got me a full ride to University.

I have had work published and I am currently working on a few projects...

and I still suffer from imposter syndrome.

I don’t feel like I belong sometimes. I don’t feel like I fit in. I don’t always feel as glamorous as people think the blogging life is.

But I have to remind myself that on the days that I feel like an imposter, that I work hard. I learn all that I can. I hone my crafts and I listen to constructive criticism.

My life isn’t all pretty pictures, somethings are downright mundane. But I don’t think you follow me because of perfect staging, perfect selfies, perfect poses, perfection in general. I think you are here because you want to connect, you crave authenticity, you want to laugh and you want to think and you see opportunities for all of that in me.

Thanks for following me. Hopefully, you continue to enjoy this journey."

Following that post, my comments were flooded, not only with encouragement but also confessions that others were dealing with this little bug as well. That gave me courage, not only to face the imposter's syndrome all the more but to share how I will be overcoming it with you.

Here are 4 ways to challenge imposter's syndrome once it arises:

Remember you're not the only one who feels like this.
Imposter syndrome is very popular. You might be surprised to know that Maya Angelou, Sonia Sotomayor, and many other well-known people have experienced times of feeling like an imposter in their own crafts. In fact, it is reported that 70% of people will experience imposter syndrome in their lives.

Knowing that so many people struggle against imposter syndrome is an instant comfort. But it's also distressing that we live in a society where so many people walk around feeling like frauds. We must remember that we are all unique individuals and we all bring something different to each and any position we occupy.

Remember you aren't perfect and aren't supposed to be.
One symptom of imposter syndrome is perfectionism. And when we mess up (because we are humans) we are suddenly thrown into either a spiral of overworking to prove that we deserve to be in the position we are in or fall into a spiral of depression and self-undermining.

Neither of these is healthy. Overworking just to prove you belong will eventually fail you. And undermining yourself breads insecurity that will spinout not all areas of life if unchecked and is unhealthy for your mental wellbeing.

Embrace the fact that you are not perfect. Aim for your best, not for perfection, and at the end of the day, you will find yourself proud of what you've done and what you've accomplished.

Remember real life isn't a social media feed.
Social media will make you think that you are the only one with struggles. Most people only share their most Pinterest perfect or Instagram worthy moments on like, and a few scrolls might have you feeling like you're the anomaly.

But remember this: not everyone is who they post to be! People aim to post pretty feeds, which is fine, but a lot of what you are seeing is smoke and mirrors, good lighting, staging, and the like. Don't compare your authentic, imperfect, but beautiful life to a pristine social page. 

Remember what you accomplished.
One of the major things those with imposter's syndrome suffer is the inability to recount their own achievements. We have instant amnesia about what we have learned, overcome, achieved that qualifies us to be in the positions we are in.

Forcing yourself to remember all that you have done and won is like adding instant steel to your spine. You become encouraged by your own story, by what God has brought you through, what you have endured, and the fruits of that, and you remember that, if anyone deserves to be where you are, it is you.

Do you battle imposter's syndrome? Let's talk! How are you coping with imposter syndrome? How are you overcoming imposter syndrome? Drop a comment below!

Comments