The Reclaimed Heart: Scars

I was journaling a few weeks ago and I was reflecting on how pain makes us stronger and better and, in some cases, more empathetic. Think about it; when someone tells you a story of an injury they sustained, if you have never felt that type of injury, you may feel bad, but you cannot truly relate. Now think about if the person tells you a story of an injury they sustained and you have had that type of injury, you can really empathize.

I was thinking about some of the scars I still have on my body, ones that have yet to fade away. I think of the stories attached to them; the pain suffered, the healing endured, the recovery, and even how we forget all about them.

Scars mark us as survivors. Scars brand us as overcomers. Scars tell stories of the battles we have fought and won and lost. Scars should be celebrated, not just for the injury, but for the powerful outcome of the injury, whether scars of the body or scars of the soul.

It is from that place that I wrote this poem. Enjoy.


Comments