4 ways to stay encouraged when you think you don't make enough money

Money is one of those touchy subjects. We are raised by society and groomed by corporate culture to not talk about money, to a fault I believe.

When I launched into entrepreneurship, I was not making the money I dreamed I would be. Quite the contrary. There were days where literally not a cent was coming in. Then a bad deal with an apparel startup screwed me over for at least a month's worth of work (money that I am still trying to recoup. Stay tuned for that post.) Meanwhile I quick scroll through of my social feeds showed me writers and bloggers on yachts, taking shopping trips, and living their best lives.

Needless to say it was a frustrating time.

Let's be honest, blogging itself makes almost no money. Me sitting here and sharing with you throughout the week makes me zero cash. And while it has so greatly impacted my life, connected me with all of you, increased my writing skill, afforded me some other quite lucrative opportunities and affirmed me in so many different ways, this lovely little blog itself makes me no coin.

But, as I said, some pretty awesome doors began to open for me. I started thinking of other ways to capitalize off of my work. I started making some cash off of The Reclaimed Resale. I began creating content became a freelancer for a few different sites. I found other opportunities to scrounge up some cash.

I say all of that to say that we all have been there at one point or another. Here are ways to stay encouraged when you feel that you don't make enough money:

Stop focusing on what you don't have and focus on what you do:
I sometimes can be so hyper focused on the things that I think that I want or am lacking, that I miss out on all of the things that are sitting right in front of me. I needed to change my focus, from lack to provision. A practice that I have adopted is a listing method where I literally stop myself and make myself count my blessings.

Seriously. I think about everything that I actually do have. Everything.

So no, I cannot walk into Hermés yet and buy whatever I want (without going into debt). But I can walk into a grocery store and treat myself to half baked froyo (it's the little things).I have so many beautiful things I have yet to wear this season. I have a full fridge and heat and a safe comfortable place to sleep. I have friends and family and connections. I have so much.

See how fast that list fills up once you start thinking about it? We are often blessed with more that we realize.

Practice gratitude:
It all comes back to the principle of practicing gratitude. You will be amazed at what gratitude eliminates all of the icky feelings we can have surrounding a lack mentality. Remember, nothing is promised to us. We are owed nothing. Everything we receive is a gift. And if everything is a gift, whether its diamonds or a simple dinner, we should be grateful for it.

By practicing gratitude, it removes the illusion of lack and fills our hearts with the joy, skills, and life we do have. We start to see our lives rightly, as lives worth living and celebrating, and being thankful for.

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have:
So, you don't have your dream job, you don't live in the dream house, you cannot take the big trip this year etc. SO WHAT? Remember NOTHING is promised to us. We are entitled to nothing.

But what do you have? Do you have a job (or a bunch of hustles)? Do you have connections? Do you have a closet full of clothes you can possibly sell? Are you good with children or the elderly? Are you good at organizing, or taking pictures, or creating things? What do you have? Think of ways you can leverage what you do have and what you can do to create the extra cash you want. Be creative and use what you have.

Adopt an abundance attitude:
I have talked about this before, but I have adopted a mentality of living with an abundant attitude. My faith teaches me that my heavenly Father first loves me, second knows my needs and wants, third, hears my prayers, and provides for every single one of my needs. If I have been set free by God from the debilitating burden of worry, and all of my needs are being met by Him because He loves me and has given me a great purpose and a great work to do while I breathe, and I continue to trust Him and live in His will, then I know at the end of the day, I can all.

It is in that vein that I operate in abundance.

Have you lived through a tight time financially? What are some of your tips? Drop a comment below!

Comments