Remembering Kate

I cannot remember my first purchase from Kate Spade because there have been literally so many.

My current favorite is my Black leather Kate Spade planner. My iPad and iPhone both were adorned with Kate's whimsical electronics cases, one proudly proclaiming "Eat Cake for Breakfast."

Kate literally permeates my wardrobe and life. I have several note pads, a pencil case, leather pouches, two tops, even a cake pan, pairs of shoes of various heights, earrings, and one purple bag charm in the shape of an ostrich, all proudly bearing the name  in lower case letters. Last year, I gifted a mint green leather tote to my mother, to which she happily jumped up and down, and I with her.

Kate Spade meant a lot to us. There was a freedom, no frills, fun in her fashion.

Yesterday, Kate was found in her home. She was only 55 and appeared to be living the dream. It was a blow to anyone who knew her work and found themselves in it.

I have loved her bags, books, stationery and spirit since I first discovered her back in High school. Back then, it was the black boxy nylon tote all the ritzy girls would casually carry around.


I felt validated that you could be both quirky and stylish, funny and fashionable, edgy and elegant. And I know I wasn't the only one who felt this way. 







And the tributes go on. Kate helped a generation of to-be fashionistas craft their own styles, and thus, our own confidences. She simultaneously spoke to the women we are and the women we wanted to be with whimsy, magic, humor, grace, and human effervescence.

Rest In Peace Kate. Thanks for teaching us all to live colorfully.

Comments