This Was Made By a Black Woman: Zakia Warner of Hot Thang Candles

Zakia Warner
Welcome back to the second season of This Was Made By A Black Woman, the series that highlights Black Women Entrepreneurs and the businesses and brands they have created.

I am proud to launch Season Two with Zakia Warner, the owner of Hot Thang Candles:

"My name is Zakia Warner and I am the owner of Hot Thang Candles. I hand pour soy wax candles, melts and an all natural lip balm. The melted wax from the candles and wax melts can be used as a moisturizer. $1 from each product purchase is donated to charity."

When asked how she became an entrepreneur and what made her start her brand, Zakia says she was "Fed up with feeling unfulfilled at my 9-5 job, I thought of finding something I loved and could make into a business. Candles!" Zakia first visualized her company like many entrepreneurs while daydreaming at her 9-5 job. Feeling unfulfilled at her day job, Zakia learned how to make candles.

Why candles? "Everyone loves candles, right?" says Zakia. She, like so many of us, frequently bought candles to enjoy them in her home, completely unaware of the toxins that were being released by burning them. Following much research, Zakia discovered the health benefits of burning soy-based candles and set her mind to make the most quality soy-based candles around. "After candle making classes and countless hours research/testing, I started Hot Thang Candles in November 2015."  

A point of pride is that each product in the Hot Thang line is hand poured. The wax in the candles and melts are 100% soy. Soy wax contains no toxins, carcinogens or pollutants and there is no petrol-carbon soot like you get from petroleum-based paraffin candles,  meaning they are safe to burn and they are less likely to trigger allergies.

When asked what her favorite product from the Hot Thang brand and why Zakia says "That’s a tough question! I love all of my products. They all make me feel good and relaxed!"

When asked my favorite question to ask Black Women entrepreneurs, what does Black owned/ Woman-owned mean to her, Zakia answers that being both Black and Woman-owned means "Being powerful, respected, seen and heard. I have so many role models that are Black and Women. They are continuously paving the way for myself and others. Hot Thang Candles is Black Owned, LGBT Owned and Woman Owned."

You can find Hot.Thang.Candles. here. Show your love and support to Hot.Thang.Candles. on social media here.


Comments