I saw Hamilton last night. I have some thoughts...

Last night the hus-bae, my favorite historian and Broadway musical novice, and I had the privilege of seeing Hamilton, as in THE Hamilton, as in the highly acclaimed musical written by the incomprable Lin Manuel Miranda.

We had the chance to attend the show at the Forrest Theater here in Philly for the Angelica Cast of the Hamilton Tour. 

Here are my observations: 

First of all, the theater itself is gorgeous and they don’t make them like that anymore. 

Listening to the music (which is amazing) and reading online will not prepare you for the down to the detail experience of this musical. 

Everything is thought out, considered, and carefully and lovingly executed. That is a testimony to Lin Manuel Miranda’s writing and a hardworking, uber talented cast’s capacity and capabilities. 

My favorite characters consist of Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson and The King. Hilarious and full of personality. 

The show is 3 hours long. It felt like less than half of that. 

American Revolutionary history is literally made new (and pretty interesting) when paired with hip-hop. I got in the car with Earl and berated him with loads of questions. Guess I’ll be reading up on American history... 
Rap really is the music of revolution. And it’s paired amazingly with the American revolution. The cast is incredibly diverse. It is not lost on me that majority of cast being people of color and women, was not originally considered in these founding documents or moments about which they are portraying so well. 

Favorite numbers (which is actually pretty hard to pick since the show is so cohesive) Guns and Ships, Wait for it, One Last Time, and History Has Its Eyes On You. 

Outside of rapping, there is very very little talking. Which I only just noticed. 

"Hurricane" has the coolest effects you have to see for yourself. 

It is better than what you expect. I am always a skeptic, being a theater nerd and former musician/actress, I try to always go into shows with no expectations. With a show like Hamilton, that is so difficult because of its behemoth reputation. But let me tell you; honey, it lived up to it!
Philly, there are still incredible tickets left for Hamilton, running now until November 17th. Grab yours and get yourself “in the room where it happens.”

Comments