5 Tips for getting back on your wellness game post Thanksgiving


Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. For me, the hustle of the year finally slows down around Thanksgiving, giving me a chance to reconnect with family and friends—oh and enjoy some great food! Lots of it. Specifically, I am looking forward to my mother's sweet potato pie. The joy!

But now that Thanksgiving Day is over, if you are anything like me, you probably feel the temptation to enjoy a few extra bites. After all, there is still plenty of leftovers and to-go plates my family packed  (and a lot of my mom's pie!)

Did you know most of the weight people gain all year happens between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day? Now I am not going to go all good food guilt on you, boos. But the facts are the facts. Most of us extend the Thanksgiving turn up well into Christmas and even past New Year's. And to be honest, we can do better.  This year, I made a pretty serious commitment to maintaining my health, so I'm always thinking of ways to improve my overall wellness. And Thanksgiving is no different.

So here are a few tips to getting back on your wellness track after Thanksgiving:

Be mindful of your meals. 
Portion control, portion control, portion control! If you are enjoying more of that yummy good holiday cooking, make sure you are mindful of your portion size. I will never tell you not to enjoy food, heaven forbid! But I will say you don't need mountains of this to enjoy. 

Think of healthy ways to remix those leftovers.
Just because you have leftovers, doesn't mean you have to devour them in one sitting. That turkey you want more of, you can certainly have. Turkey breast is really lean meat. Making a small sandwich with some sides as toppings is a better way to satisfy your turkey day tastebuds than a full plate. Thank me later.

Have that tasty treat, just be modest about it. 
I could eat half of my mom's sweet potato pie in one sitting, but that doesn't mean that I should. Still, I can enjoy one slice without gorging and guilting later.

Consider your long term goals over short term satisfaction.
Whatever your wellness goals are, they are certainly worth more than that extra helping you may want now. And while that little extra may smell or taste good, thinking about how it will affect you in the long run. If you're going to indulge, go for it! But also make sure you have a fitness/movement plan to back it up.

Make sure you stay hydrated. 
This one is difficult for me. I need to drink more water. But I have to ensure that I do by tricking myself to do so. I like aesthetics, and so by making sure to have a cute water bottle with me, I am going to drink it. Hey, that's just what works for me.

Those are my tips for the holidays. Remember, the holidays are to be enjoyed, not dreaded, yall. So enjoy yourselves, mindfully of course!

Comments