I am Black, every day.


Even I get tired of the race discussion. While I love teaching and talking about elements of my vibrant and prolific culture, I hate that, as often happens when ignorant yet entitled individuals to get a hold of Al Gore's internet and yet completely avoid doing a simple Google search before proclaiming their vapid and obtuse opinions as facts, I run into very bold internet bullies.

Specifically, over the past few weeks, I was able to provide tangible and fact-based respected sources around the topics of blackface (is it funny) and blackfishing ( why is it wrong). In both, the people on the receiving end of those facts have completely ignored the danger both are in perpetuating stereotypes that often lead to violence against my people or completely co-opting elements of my culture which may be a trend for you but is often a way for people to oppress me.

They simply did not care. They were not only committed to their own ignorance, but they also launched attacks at me for even bringing them up.

I got tired. So, in a semi rage, semi shade-filled rant, I wrote the following and shared it to my Instagram:

"I am Black every day.

That means a lot.

That means I don’t have to paint it on myself as a costume or braid my hair for clout. That’s my culture, my people, it belongs to me. This Blackness belongs to me.

That means that I am the beneficiary of a rich vibrant but also painful and tragic history. This Blackness too belongs to me.

That means my culture is not a costume one can put on for clout and then take off for convenience. Because, while beautiful, being Black is often very inconvenient, especially when the very hairstyles you take for trends my people STILL suffer for wearing. The very skin you paint or tan on becomes a weapon on my own body. But I love being Black.

Being Black is to be part of a heritage that started long before civil rights, Jim Crow, reconstruction, minstrelsy, or slavery. Being black is more than being cool, down, edgy, or anything else people associate with black things.

Being black is to be a person first. A human being not to be fetishized or to be hated, but a human being worthy of being present. Being black is to be heir to deep roots and ancestral understanding. Being black is to be heir to more than just swag, it is to be heir to history and heritage, struggle and strength, pain and promise.

Being Black is more than a trend, a passing fashion that is in one day and out the next. Being Black is prolific, powerful, and unafraid to use your voice to affect change.

Unlike people who will put the appearance of Blackness, whether our hairstyles, our slang, even our very skin tones until it’s no longer stylish or cute, I am for real Black. I am a proud Black woman. I am Black every day."

Comments