Hannah Brown and the big bad N-Word

I have never been a fan of the Bachelor or Bachelorette series for a number of reasons. But if this one isn't the icing on the whole cake, I don't know what is.

"Bachelorette" star Hannah Brown used the N-word on Instagram this past weekend while singing lyrics to a rap song. 

Hannah, with 3 million Instagram followers, Brown is one of ABC’s most popular "The Bachelor" alums. She also a winner of "Dancing With the Stars," winning the mirror ball trophy in 2019.

But who cares about any of that when Miss Alabama is dropping the N-Word on social media like an N-Word pro that many of us believe she is. During an IG Live, Hannah rapped lyrics to rapper DaBaby’s song “Rockstar” out loud, including the N-word.

Taking to her IG story, Hannah apololied apologized, saying "I owe you all a major apology. There is no excuse, and I will not justify what I said. I have read your messages and seen the hurt that I have caused. I own it all. I am terribly sorry and know that whether in public or private, this language is unacceptable. I promise to do better."

Followers aren't buying it. The comments section on her posts are flooded with negative remarks like, "really disappointed," "you should offer a since apology that shows the gravity of the situation" and "your apology just shows your white privilege." Many since have commented that they’ve unfollowed her account. 

Even sponsors are pulling out. An accessories brand promoted by Brown responded to an upset fan after the fan called them out, saying the brand "could not have predicted what happened on her Instagram."

Rachel Lindsay, “The Bachelorette” from Season 13, the only Black lead in the franchise’s 18-year history, went on her Instagram to respond, alluding to the fact that she had connected with Brown, but was not pleased with the outcome of their conversation.

"To be honest, I’m tired. I’m so tired of feeling like I have to be the one to say something," Lindsay said on IGTV. "It’s not an opportunity to call someone out, it’s not necessarily an opportunity to drag them, it’s an opportunity to maybe educate them. … I thought, ‘Let me challenge this person to use their platform because last night it was used in a different way, so let me challenge them to use it in a better way.’ Maybe it was a mistake, maybe they didn’t realize the intention behind it … so let me give them opportunity to now use their platform to correct that mistake. I am personally hurt and offended that I gave someone the opportunity to do that and it wasn’t done. Now, I understand that an apology was made, but when I know what could have been done when I know what I challenged someone to do … they refused to do it, or they did not do it."

Meanwhile, Brown's team has already launched into the apology tour. "This clearly was not intentional. But she did it, and she knows she did it," a source told Variety of Brown. "She’s learning. It’s an educational process. She’s reflecting right now."

But what is there to learn? After centuries of hatred, violence, rape, murder, inhumane torture associated with the word, what is there for a White person not to learn. Just don't say it. Even in a song. Even if a rapper says it. Even if its in a book or anywhere else. There isn't anything to learn, Hannah. Save your apology. 

You're not sorry because you made a mistake, you're sorry that you got caught. You've been saying the N-Word, whether in a song or otherwise for too long. That is why you said it when rapping. That is why it came out as naturally as any other word. Just go ahead and get in line with Tomi Lasagna as another pretty vapid blond for Fox New and the Blaze. Sure you will blend right on in over there.

*This is a reminder that only Black people can forgive the use of the N-Word. So before the cavalcade of Beckys and Karens come offering their empty, hollow, self stroking attempts of forgiveness, let those who actually are affected deal with Hannah. 

Comments