My Latest for Insider: Why Representation Matters

I told yall to be prepared to see my name in your bylines. 

Recently, I had the opportunity to share my thoughts on Insider on why Representation matters. It matters, not just for our children as they shape their worldviews, but to us, their guardians, who are actively shaping our children's perspectives and self-esteem.

This one goes out to every parent who loudly protested against schools having diverse literature in their schools. 

As I said in the piece: 

"I know what it's like to crave being seen in that way, to wish that you could see yourself in a character that might actually resemble you, to wish that stories you had access to could speak to you, could speak about you. I do not want that for my daughter or any child.

All of our stories deserve to be told. Seeing my daughter have access to the representation that I wish I could have had as a child is restoring and encouraging to me. When we see ourselves, the world becomes a more beautiful place."

For the whole piece, head to Insider.


Comments