The Mommy Diaries: We've Stopped Breastfeeding, here's why...

By now, you all know that a good portion of my life (not all but a significant portion of my life) is informed by parenting. Motherhood is a learning curve, a culture, a whole life shift that has really changed me in a lot of ways, even in just the year and a half that I've been actively mothering.

As led by y'alls little niece, we are ending our breastfeeding journey. We have gone 19 months and after about 2 weeks of disinterest from the kiddo, I have decided to follow her lead and close this chapter.
I am a mix of emotions right now. 

I didn't think I could nurse AT ALL. Initially, I wasn't even interested.

I've seen friends who tearfully quit within the 1st few weeks. I also have seen my sisters whose journey was so easeful. So going into nursing, I was really nervous and borderline hesitant. 

With all of that in mind, to see how far we've come feels surreal. I am really proud of us. I am really proud of myself, for trying something I was nervous to do, to not give up even in the most difficult moments (there were PLENTY), to find our rhythm and to never lose the beat. 19 months later, I can hold my head high (while wiping away a few tears).
While I am so sad to close this chapter, I am proud of how far we came. I learned so much, about my baby, about myself, about bonding, about my body, so much that I am still dissecting and will probably have to follow up on this post. Grateful for this chapter. Let's see what the next one will bring.

Comments