"Broken Crayons Still Make a Beautiful Picture": My Chat with Danaé Reid

For those who may be new to The Reclaimed, you may not know how all of this started. 

It started from a season of brokenness, where my heart was shattered in many ways. Since then, I have learned the value of broken things, of cast-aside things. 

This belief has come out since becoming a mom. Emmie, who recently celebrated a birthday, loves to color. But she does a number on her poor little crayons, often dropping them and breaking them unintentionally. But rather than rush to buy new crayons or hide the broken ones, I end up showing her that the broken ones STILL color, and despite being broken, you can use these broken fragments to make a beautiful picture. 

That was the foundation of this blog, this podcast, and all of the work I do; a reclamation of broken and thrown-out things, stories, and people as a reminder that just because something, a heart, a dream, a plan, is broken, doesn't mean we cannot make something extraordinary with it.

I recently had the privilege to discuss this with the brilliant and oh so kind Danaé Reid on her radio show on WURD. Here's that interview.




Comments