The Introvert got reinvented to NYFW

...all the feels.

As you guys already know, I was invited to my first NYFW show last season.

To be honest, while I was hoping that I would get another invite back, I wasn't holding my breath about it. To be honest, events like that really pull me out of my comfort zone in ways that are great for me growth wise, but terrifying for me otherwise.

Around this time two weeks ago, I began to receive emails. Not one, not two, but SEVENTEEN show invites...


via GIPHY

That's right, seventeen different fashion shows and presentations.

I felt myself being to fall into my own sunken place. What was I going to wear, how was I going to be able to fit all of the shows in, what was I going to do to the fro, should I get my teeth whitened, what kind of shoes wouldn't hurt the whole day, what if it rained, and on and on and on.

That's right, seventeen different fashion shows and presentations.

I felt myself being to fall into my own sunken place. What was I going to wear, how was I going to be able to fit all of the shows in, what was I going to do to the fro, should I get my teeth whitened, what kind of shoes wouldn't hurt the whole day, what if it rained, and on and on and on.

I felt myself beginning to spiral.

After all, New York is the reigning Fashion Capital of the United States and all of fashion's glitterati would be there.

Then something happened...

After several "GET YOUR LIFE RIGHT" talks (shout outs to Earl, the bestie, and the work bestie for those), I came to the realization that this is, in essence, what I have worked for. Four years of community building, writing, research, classes, courses, studying have all lead up to this moment; this year. Year four. Anywhere else you spend four years usually leads to some type of leveling up; a graduation, a ceremony, a promotion. I guess I didn't want to make any assumptions, nothing is owed to me. And even hard work and dedication can and does get overlooked. I guess I simply thought anything I did was for my own personal growth, and that ultimately, it would help me as a person and allow me to help others, but nothing too far beyond that.

These are unexpected doors opening to me. But who am I to tell others to take chances and take steps if I myself in my own life refuse to. No. This year started out being my year of Yes; the year I would say yes to every endeavor that I felt led to that I would typically say no to.

So I say yes. Yes to a full day of shows and clothes and going solo and meeting new people and interviewing the industry and opening doors. I am walking through.

Now, what shoes to wear?



Comments