TWMBABW: Dominique Covington and Skin Deep


Today's feature is no stranger to The Reclaimed. My best friend, also named Dominique, introduced me to a fellow soror and her own line sister's brand, Skin Deep through Instagram. Then, my bestie messed up and brought me back a sample of Skin Deep's products and literally got me hooked. The line of beautiful creams and sweet smelling scrubs I met two years ago now have expanded to hair and body oils, body washes, a lip set, and even soy candles, all natural and safe and the most simplistic luxury.

Today on This Was Created By A Black Woman: Dominique Covington and her brand, Skin Deep.

"Skin Deep Natural Bodycare, Inc. Skin Deep specializes in handcrafted organic and natural body care products. We make products that are not only healthy for the skin, but that also feel and smell great." Dominique says of her brand.

"I am passionate about wellness and self care, and living the healthiest life possible." says the native Chicagoan. A married woman and a new mother, Dominique also practiced law before launching Skin Deep. "I was a lawyer before I started the business full time and actually began the business while I was in law school at Loyola University Chicago. As a lawyer I focused on civil and human rights law. Although I don't believe in mistakes, being an entrepreneur certainly was not planned. I always knew I wanted to live a life that allowed me to have flexibility and prioritize things that were important to me, so entrepreneurship suited me well. Once my family convinced me to actually launch the business, it definitely achieved more success than I thought it would. I loved making the products and loved introducing women of color to a healthier skin care/ lifestyle routine, so I kept going with the business."

Skin Deep was actually born our of Dominique's own skin troubles. "I started the brand because I suffered with severe eczema and dry since I was a child. During stressful periods in life, my eczema was even worse. While in law school it became particularly bad. I was using natural products but nothing seemed to help, and I didn't want to use creams that were full of unhealthy chemicals. So I decided to make something on my own that would help to heal my skin. I also wanted something that smelled and felt good. Skin Deep is all about creating body care products that are healthy, affordable and chic. Also, I have always been very health conscious and I know that an important component of good health is non-toxic beauty care products. Unlike what we eat, our skin does not filter out toxins, so what we put on our skin directly affects our health. So armed with this knowledge and the desire to heal my own skin issues, Skin Deep Natural Bodycare was born."


When asked about what her favorite product of her line is; Dominique says "I love the Eucalyptus Mint Salt Scrub. A scrub is a small gift of luxury. It instantly makes your skin feel amazing and lifts your mood. I love that our scrub softens and moisturizes so you get two for one. Give me a Skin Deep soy candle, a hot shower and a body scrub and I feel like I just left the spa!"

"Being a black woman owned business means 'joy and responsibility.'" Dominique says. "I have a responsibility to demonstrate excellence, authenticity and sisterhood. I also am overjoyed that I am able to connect and economically support so many other black owned and black women owned businesses, because of Skin Deep. From my graphic designer, photographers, suppliers to my customers, I love that I interact with so many amazing black women on a daily basis. It is a continuous source of inspiration."

Show Skin Deep some love here and find these beautiful products here.

Comments