How I built my skincare routine

I may not wear a lot of makeup, but when it comes to skincare, I gladly go all in.

Some of you have been asking me how to create a skincare regimen. But before we do that, let's talk some basics:

First, consult a dermatologist for your own individual skin needs. I am not a dermatologist, but a humble blogger who has tried a bunch of different things. 'Nuff said.

Determine what your skin type is. As I transitioned from my twenties to my thirties, my skin has gone from dry all over to combination, and I have had to adjust my routine accordingly.

Good skin only comes from a good diet. Taking care of your body shows in your skin first. So make sure you are drinking your water, eating quality produce, and limiting the amount of junk food. Your skin will indeed thank you.

To start your skincare routine, you're going to need a few things:

Cleanser: I have been using Black Soap for a few years now on my face and it has blessed me. Black soap fades discoloration and has antibacterial properties that help it in the fight against acne. I also use Neutrogena's Deep Clean once in a while to get that tingly dream clean.

Toner: I love rose water as a toner. I typically spray a few sprays on after washing my face. It has anti-inflammatory properties which help reduce irritated skin, fight acne, eczema, and dermatitis. If you're adventurous, you can always make your own rose water.

Serum: The serum you need should be based upon your skin's own individual needs. I really like Peter Thomas Roth's Potent C Power serum. Vitamin C has antioxidant properties (ascorbic acid) and plays a vital role in collagen synthesis. Another great Vitamin C serum is the Derma E Concentrated C serum that will still give you the benefits of pricier Vitamin C serums but for pennies.

A moisturizer: Nobody wants a dull dry looking face. So you're going to need a quality moisturizer. I like the beauty classic, CeraVe. I also like Kiehl's Ultra Face Cream. Just a tiny bit and my skin is nice and dewy for the day. I also love Chuda healing and hydration cream. During the colder, dryer months, this cream kept my dry leaning face in lovely shape and is also great for dry spots, skin injuries, and sunburns.

Speaking of sunburns...

SPF: You. Must. Protect. Your. Skin! Therefore, SPF! If you're using a moisturizer that already has SPF, you are on the right track. A good example of this is Chuda's sheer hydrating lotion SPF. I also like Derma E's Sun Protection Mineral Powder. It's light and easy to apply.

Some other honorable mentions:


A jade roller: I have already told you all the wonders of jade rolling. Originating in ancient China as a beauty tool for aristocracy, stone rollers, the most popular being the Jade roller, comes with supposed huge benefits. These rollers, used for a cool (as in temperature) facial massage, and are said to help "sculpt" your features by encouraging facial drainage (by encouraging your lymphatic system’s natural detoxification process), “brightening” your face (by increasing circulation and blood flow beneath your skin, creating a very visible glow), depuffing, and even toning slackening muscles.

A good mask: After a long week, why not pamper your pretty face with a mask. Right now, I am loving Aveda's Wedding Overnight eye and face mask. Sheet masks are also awesome and I really am liking the YesTo Sheet masks that come in a pack of six.

Micellar water: There is a lot of debate going on about the usefulness of micellar water, but I am here to confirm that my skin loves it. Micelles, the things that make up micellar water, draw out dirt and oil without drying out the skin. In essence, this makes micellar water effective as a makeup remover, a face wash, and a moisturizer all in oneMy favorites right now are the Derma E Micellar Water and the Caudalie Micellar.

Scrubs: I love a good scrub. Exfoliation is key for healthy skin. I try to do a weekly gentle scrub of my face, typically with St. Ives Apricot Scrub. Cannot go wrong with a classic.

Things I haven't tried yet:

Peels: I haven't tried these because the videos of these look horrifying. The idea of peeling something off of my face frightens me, to say the least, but I would be willing to give it a go once.

Essences: I have been hearing about the benefits of essences, but I haven't had the chance to really try any. (Amore Pacific just sent me their Vintage Extract essence that I will be playing with so I will keep you updated on that.)

Some things worth noting:

Prepare seasonal specific skin care. Skin needs different things in different seasons. In winter, it's all about moisturizing; in the summer, it's all about protection. Be willing to try different things at different seasons.

Everything doesn't work for everybody. Be willing to find the products that woke best for you.

Be careful which products you use together! Some products do not work well with others so be mindful as you experiment.

Have fun! Skincare is fun. Watching the benefits of different products is fun and creating your own custom skin routine is very exciting. Have fun with it!


Comments